Thursday, February 14, 2013

"Flashy" Annelid Patterns

Been messing around with tying some different annelid patterns for my upcoming trip to the San Juan.  I've heard that Navajo Lake is turning over, causing the tailwater to be a little more stained than usual.  Red annelids have been one of the most productive flies for me down there, so I wanted to tie up a few "flashier" variations that the trout will be able to see (aka eat) easier.  I'm using a lot of red Krystal Flash, which is a very fragile material, so I had some ideas on how to increase the durability of the fly, allowing it to be used to catch a handful of trout before it needs to be retired.  Nothing new here, just some variations to some time tested patterns that hopefully help make a difference next week on the San Juan.

Pure "Flash" Larvae
Hook: Tiemco 2488 (sz 20-26)
Thread: Red 8/0 Uni-Thread
Underbody: Red Krystal Flash
Overbody: Clear Magic Tubing
Head: Thread
Notes: This is just a variation of Barr's Pure Midge Larva with the Krystal Flash under the clear tubing to add some flash to the pattern.  I really like how the tubing gives the body segmentation, and this fly will last a long time.



Boogie Nights Midge
Hook: Tiemco 2488 (sz 20-26)
Thread: Red 8/0 Uni-Thread
Body: Red Krystal Flash
Rib: Black UTC Wire (extra small)
Head: Thread
Coating: Loon Hard Head
Notes: A variation of a disco midge, keeping the name in the same theme.  Coating the entire body with Loon Hard Head gives the fly a sheen I like, and increases the durability a ton.  Have caught a lot of fish in the Braids on this pattern for some reason.  This fly in smaller sizes has been more productive for me.



 Blood Cell Midge
Hook: Tiemco 2488 (sz 28)
Thread-Red 8/0
Rib: Red UTC Wire-  (small)
Wing: Red Krystal Flash
Head: Thread
Notes: I picked the name of this fly because of the tiny size and the totally red color, sort of like a blood cell.  Really, this is just a KF Midge Emerger that is all red, with a red wing.  Never fished this before but I'm sure the trout will enjoy it.



Disclaimer:  These pictures suck!  They will be replaced with better ones as soon as I can learn how to take better Macro pics of flies.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my eyes! Those are certainly small in size. I am sure that is exactly what is needed, but, I am not sure my ol' eyes could handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark-
    Nice post and great site. Wanted to give you a shout out and say thanks for listing Floatfishing on your daily reads, really appreciate that. Good luck in the San Jaun.

    Floatfisher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy seeing the flies that you tie! They're awesome. Have fun fishing the Ark early season!

      Delete