Wednesday, October 5, 2011

San Juan River (aka Heaven)

Haven't posted in a while, so here is a big one loaded with a bunch of pictures.  Spent four days fishing the San Juan below Navajo Dam last week.  I fished the San Juan back in June during high water at 5500 CFS, so was not sure how  different the river would be 10 times lower.  We absolutely slayed it!!!!!  Never had so much fun fishing in my entire life.  One of the best parts of the trip was hiring the famous Andy Kim for a day.  It was crazy to learn the A.K. system of fly fishing.  First thing he said to me after looking the Yong Special that I had tied up and was using, "Not a bad fly Mark, but let's tie on a real one."  We had a good laugh at that.  Pretty incredible the way that man catches fish.   Flies of the trip were Yong Special, Yong Flasher, Yong Wing, Mercury Pheasant Tail, and sparkle wing RS2.  Here are a bunch of photos that do a pretty good job of explaining the complete awesomeness of this place.

My father being "schooled" by Andy Kim




Look how fat this fish is!!!
My favorite pic of the trip!!

Last fish of the trip.  Right at Sunset


1 comment: